The Public Schools
West Orange, NJ
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SUBSTITUTES
Substitute teachers need one of the following:
1. Standard Certificate issued by the NJ Department of Education
2. Certificate of Eligibility (CE)
3. Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS)
4. Substitute Credential
Substitute Nurses need one of the following:
1. Standard School Nurse Certificate issued by the NJ Department of Education and valid NJ Registered Nurse License
2. Substitute School Nurse Certificate and valid NJ Registered Nurse License
Links to all forms and procedures needed to become a substitute are located on the Human Resource Substitute Web page.
If you do not hold any of the above certificates, the district will assist you in applying for a Substitute Credential. You must submit official transcripts proving completion of 60 college credits. The fee is $125 (check or money order) payable to the Commissioner of Education.
Substitute candidates must complete a criminal history review by being fingerprinted. The cost for fingerprinting is $67.20 plus an $11 administrative processing fee payable online to the State of New Jersey.
- Substitute rate is $100/per diem for holders of a NJ Standard Certificate, CE, or CEAS.
- Substitute rate is $90/per diem for holders of a Substitute Credential.
- Substitute Credentials must be current. Please check the expiration date on your certificate and renew when needed.
- Substitute rate is $250/per diem for holders of a NJ Registered Nurse License plus a Substitute
- School Nurse Certificate or Standard School Nurse Certificate.
- Substitute rate is $70/per diem for secretaries.
Only online applications will be accepted. Interviews are scheduled and final candidates are submitted for approval by the Board of Education. Once approved, all substitutes are enrolled in Aesop and are given a login. Procedures for using Aesop are also provided on the Human Resource Substitute Web page.
Substitutes are appointed annually. It is the substitute’s responsibility to return the substitute renewal form to be considered for reappointment. A reappointment letter will be sent each July.
We appreciate your interest in the West Orange School District.