School Counseling Program
The West Orange Public School Counseling Program is designed to address the developmental needs of all students. School counseling is an integral part of the total educational program, and is in alignment with the mission of the West Orange Board of Education, with the American School Counselors Association (ASCA) National Standards and National Model and New Jersey School Counseling Association (NJSCA) School Counseling Initiative. The school counseling program also addresses the mandates of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying Legislation and NJ Administrative Code. The counseling program is also flexible to address any particular needs of the school district based on needs assessments and/or administrative directive.
The mission of West Orange Public School Counseling Program is to advocate, lead and collaborate in our effort to motivate students, help build character and engage in lifelong learning. Additionally, the program builds a safe and positive school culture by promoting positive relationships among students, faculty, staff and community members so that students graduate college and career ready.
The school counseling program is designed to respond to student needs. The school counselors/student assistance counselors are change agents, skilled in group dynamics, problem-solving, goal setting and decision making, advocacy, family systems and systemic change.
The school counselors/student assistance counselors:
- Designs, leads, implements and evaluates the comprehensive school counseling program
- Establishes positive relationships with all students through individual contacts, lunch bunches or small groups
- Provides individual and group counseling, behavioral interventions and crisis counseling as needed.
- Collaborates with teachers, administrators, and other specialists to promote student improvement and success
- Works to remove school, cultural, community, and systemic barriers to student achievement
- Assures access to opportunities and rigorous educational experiences for all students solicits broad participation from parents, teachers, students, community members, support staff, board members, and administrators
The West Orange Public School Counseling Department's mission is to provide information, resources, support, and opportunities that will empower all of our students to develop and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, abilities and character to pursue their individual plans and goals as they move beyond high school and become contributing members of our society.
The School Counseling Department believes:
- Each student can learn, achieve, and be successful.
- Each student has the right to adequate and equal education regardless of race, religion, socioeconomic status, or disability.
- Each student deserves equal opportunity to pursue a rigorous academic program.
- Each student can be a productive member of society.
- Each student has the ability to develop empathy and positive character traits.
- Each student has the potential to grow academically, socially and emotionally.
- Each student has strengths to be discovered, developed, and utilized.
- Each student has the right to a safe and nurturing environment that is conducive to learning.
- Each student deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.
Ms. Cheryl ButlerDirector of School Counseling K - 12 / Student ServicesWest Orange High School51 Conforti Ave.West Orange, NJ 07052Phone: 973-669-5301 x. 31611Fax: 973-669-5184