The enclosed ABSENCE FORM may be printed out, completed and sent in with the returning student.
The West Orange High School Attendance Policy
School attendance is required by law and is critical to students’ success in school and life. We want to help ensure that every student has strong attendance every year. Please read Mr. Moore's letter dated on September 30, 2015 on absenteeism: Absenteeism LetterA student may not exceed a total of nineteen (19) chargeable absences for a full–year course or nine (9) chargeable absences for a semester course.
1. Phone calls will NOT be accepted as an excuse for any absence.2. Students must provide a note to the Attendance Office immediately (48 hours/2 School days) upon return to school from any absence.The absence will be excused only if the note provided contains the following:a) the date(s) of absence(s);b) a valid reason for the absence(s);c) the parent(s)/guardian(s) signature(s); andd) A phone number for verification.
- NOTES ARE REQUIRED AFTER ABSENCES
- ABSENCES ARE RECORDED AS CUTS UNLESS AND UNTIL PROPER DOCUMENTATION IS RECEIVED
- IF NOTES ARE NOT PROVIDED IN A TIMELY FASHION, DISCIPLINE WILL BE IMPOSED
3. An absence will be considered a CUT if:a) A VALID NOTE HAS NOT BEEN PROVIDED WITHIN TWO SCHOOL DAYS(Notes provided after 2 days, if accepted, will result in disciplinary consequences).b) the note has been deemed a forgery (forgeries will also result in disciplinary action).