- West Orange Public Schools
"Hometown Champions" Celebration Recognizes Athletes, Builds Community Pride
WEST ORANGE, NJ - It was history in the making at West Orange Town Hall on Dec. 10 as the community gathered for a "Hometown Champions Celebration" to recognize the exceptional fall sports season at West Orange High School.
- Football: North Jersey Section 2, Group Five champions (first time in school history)
- West Orange Boys Soccer: Second in Group 4 State Final, NJSIAA North 1, Group 4 Sectional Title champions
- West Orange Girls Soccer: finished 16-4-1 and won the Essex County Championship for the second straight year. They also reached the final of the North 1, Group 4 state championship and finished the season No. 16 in the state.
- West Orange Cross Country Track: Boys take SEC Liberty Division championship, 12-0; Senior Sana’a Smith claimed the SEC Liberty Championship XC Crown
- WO Cheer Team: First Place at Randolph Rampage
- WOHS Marching Mountaineers:
The Marching Mountaineers competed on Oct. 29 in the Bands of America (BOA) New Jersey Regional Championship at Rutgers University and qualified for the finals competition for only the second time in school history, finishing in sixth place; the highest placement in a BOA Regional in school history. The BOA NJ Regional featured bands from NJ, NY, PA, VA, and MA. The Mountaineers took second place at the New Jersey Marching Band Directors Association's NJ State Championship at The College of New Jersey and won the award for Best Music.
Following a special dinner provided by Nicholas Anthony restaurant, the teams were bused to town hall with a police escort.
Assistant Superintendent Hayden Moore, WOHS Principal Oscar Guerrero, Acting Athletic Director Steve Zichella, outgoing Mayor Robert Parisi, incoming Mayor Susan McCartney, board members Jennifer Tunnicliffe and Gary Rothstein, town councilpersons Michelle Casalino and Tammy Williams, coaches, friends, and family joined to recognize the athletes. Kevin Connelly, announcer for the NFHS Network, served as emcee.
Head Football Coach Darnell Grant presented special recognitions to Mayor Parisi, Hayden Moore, and Oscar Guerrero for their support of football and the sports programs at the high school.
The event was organized by WOHS Sports Media, iWest Orange Public Schools, and West Orange Township.
(Photos by Cynthia Cumming unless otherwise noted.)
Sarahi Moore, Sheila Parisi, Catherine Connors, Hayden Moore, Robert Parisi, Stephan Zichella, Michelle Casalino
Gary Rothstein, Hayden Moore, Jennifer Tunnicliffe, Oscar Guerrero
WOHS alum and WOPD Officer Justin Davis DJ's (photo by WOHS Sports Media)
Mayor Rob Parisi with emcee Kevin Connelly (photo by WOHS Sports Media)
Photo by WOHS Sports Media
Photo by WOHS Sports Media
Dec. 11, 2022