- West Orange Public Schools
Nikhil Badlani Foundation Youth Advisory Board Teens Teach Traffic Safety
WEST ORANGE, NJ - Advocates from the Nikhil Badlani Foundation Youth Advisory Board presented an interactive information session on traffic safety to middle school students at Liberty (March 20) and Roosevelt ((March 27) Middle Schools.
- Each year 40,000 people die in car crashes
- On avg 100 a day
- More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44
- In 2009, there were 3,214 teens ages 15 to 19 were killed in car accidents
- An average of nine teens ages 16-19 were killed every day from motor vehicle injuries
- 55% percent of those killed in passenger vehicle occupant crashes in 2008 were not wearing a seat belt.
The girls then presented school bus safety tips and pedestrian safety tips for middle school students, including:
Stay on the sidewalk and pay attention while in the street
Always keep one headphone out of your ear
Find a safe place to stop before texting
Exercise responsibility for yourself and others
The messages were brought home with audience participation excercises.
The presentation was created and run by the Youth Advisory members. For more information, go to the Nikhil Badlani Foundation website: nikhilbadlanifoundation.org.
Anika Fernandez, Alexandra Kicior, Darlene Folas, Chloe Mengden, Emma Renwick, and Andie Schwartz
April 1, 2019